A recipe impressed by the favored store-bought candy kale salad equipment! It’s made with kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli slaw, dried cranberries, pepitas, elective goat cheese and tossed with a scrumptious poppy seed yogurt dressing and makes for the right aspect dish whether or not or not it’s for a weeknight dinner or particular vacation meal.
This Candy Kale Salad is hearty, scrumptious and actually a should strive.
I’m an enormous fan of the Candy Kale Salad Kits which might be discovered at shops like Costco, Aldi, Dealer Joe’s and most mainstream grocery shops. They’re scrumptious and make the right aspect to actually any meal (like our Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs), anytime of the yr. And whereas I like the comfort of the kits you should buy, I set out on a mission to create an choice that was made with actual meals, better-for-you elements. Don’t get me mistaken, I’ll nonetheless attain for the comfort choice from time-to-time however I do favor cooking from scratch and with actual meals elements (therefore the title of this weblog).
Not solely is it higher to your well being but in addition higher to your finances. Cooking from scratch is sort of at all times the extra budget-friendly choice. Now I did add one ingredient that isn’t usually discovered within the store-bought Candy Kale Salad kits which is goat cheese. So whereas this ingredient is completely elective, I actually do love the flavour and creaminess it provides to the salad.
This publish might comprise affiliate hyperlinks that gained’t change your value however will share some fee.
Components on this DIY Candy Kale Salad Package
For the poppy seed yogurt dressing:
- Plain Greek yogurt – I nearly at all times use full fats greek yogurt however for those who’d like a lesser fats choice, you’ll be able to go along with 2%.
- Mayo – I like Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo. For an egg-free choice use a vegan mayo or sub extra yogurt.
- Apple cider vinegar – might sub white wine or purple wine vinegar
- Honey – might sub maple syrup
- Orange juice and zest
- Lemon juice and zest
- Poppy seeds
- Sea salt
- Onion powder
For the salad:
- Kale – stems eliminated and chopped into small items
- Broccoli slaw – might sub shredded cabbage
- Shredded Brussels sprouts
- Dried cranberries – might sub dried raisins or blueberries. I like these dried cranberries as a result of they’re sweetened with apple juice and as an alternative of sugar.
- Pumpkin seeds – might sub sunflower seed or almonds
- Inexperienced onion
- Goat cheese crumbles – elective
For 10% off of all Primal Kitchen merchandise use code: REALFOODRDS
Shop Thrive Market to get one of the best costs on pure, natural, and specialty meals. PLUS get a free reward while you sign-up!
The right way to make Candy Kale Salad
Whisk, chop and toss your solution to this scrumptious Candy Kale Salad.
- Step 1: In a small bowl, whisk collectively the dressing elements. Put aside.
- Step 2: Toast the pumpkin seeds in a pan over medium low warmth tossing usually for about 5-7 minutes or till the seeds give off a toasted odor.
- Step 3: In a big bowl, mix the salad elements. Simply earlier than serving, pour the dressing over the elements and toss gently to mix.
- Step 4: Prime with extra cranberries, pumpkin seeds, inexperienced onion and elective goat cheese crumbles.
The right way to retailer Candy Kale Salad leftovers
IF you’ve got any leftovers you’ll be able to retailer the salad in a glass storage container for as much as 2 days. Any longer and the kale will change into slightly too soggy to get pleasure from. I prefer to serve the leftover Candy Kale Salad with sliced hen, steak or salmon to get pleasure from as a subsequent days lunch. So satisfying and extremely tasty!
The right way to prep forward Candy Kale Salad
You possibly can completely prep this salad forward by caring for just a few of the duties a day or two earlier than you propose to serve the salad. If serving this as a part of a Vacation meal or special day, I prefer to prep as a lot as I can forward in order that it’s fast to place collectively when it’s getting near time for dinner. Right here’s what you’ll be able to deal with the day or two earlier than you propose to serve the salad:
- Make the dressing and retailer in a small glass storage container or mason jar within the fridge.
- Chop the entire veggies and retailer them collectively, in a big bowl or container, lined within the fridge.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds and retailer in an storage container, zip high bag or stasher bag.
Now all you must do is mix the entire elements in a serving bowl, toss it with the dressing and it’s able to serve.
Different kale salad recipes you’ll love
- ½ cup greek yogurt (2% or full fats)
- 2 Tbsp. mayo (might sub extra yogurt)
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- ½ small orange, juice of (2 T) + ½ tsp. orange zest
- ½ lemon juice of (2 T) + ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the dressing elements. Put aside.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a pan over medium low warmth tossing usually for about 5-7 minutes or till the seeds give off a toasted odor.
- In a big bowl, mix the salad elements. Pour the dressing over the elements and toss gently to mix.
- Prime with extra cranberries, pumpkin seeds, inexperienced onion and elective goat cheese crumbles.
- Serving Measurement: 1/8 of recipe
- Energy: 205
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 295 mg
- Fats: 11 g
- Saturated Fats: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 13 g
Pin now, make later!
All photographs and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our photographs with out prior written permission. In the event you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your individual distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to the supply recipe right here on The Actual Meals Dietitians. Thanks!
Photograph Credit score: The photographs on this weblog publish had been taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.